But an honourable mention must go to Katy Perry, who brought her grandmother!
Read on as we blog all the goss, glamour and of course the winners as the Grammys unfold LIVE. Keep refreshing this page!
IN PICS: 2011 Grammy Award red carpet
WATCH NOW: Grammy performances
- The cast of Glee walked the red carpet, with Kevin McHale the actor behind nerdy Artie Abrams name-checking Nicki Minaj as his dream co-star on the show.
- In a surprise twist, blues duo The Black Keys won Best Alternative Music Album over favourites The Arcade Fire. Other winners in the pre-Grammy ceremony included Lady Gaga for Female Pop Vocal Performance with 'Bad Romance', Bruno Mars Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for 'Just The Way You Are' and Jay-Z and Alicia Keys taking out Best Rap Song for 'Empire State of Mind'.
NEWS: More on Lady Gaga's Grammys stunt
- Gaga took a somewhat subdued approach to her performance of 'Born This Way' (ignoring the whole egg/pod schtick). With a relatively normal outfit on, the Lady's only nod to the ridiculous was pounding on an organ halfway through.
- No truth to the rumour of Muse performing with Gaga . They don't really need any help with bombastic OTT shows anyway.
- Winner of Best Female Vocal Country Performance – Miranda Lambert, 'The House That Built Me'. No surprises there considering she performed earlier in the evening.
- OMG! It's a Bieber medley. From an acoustic 'Baby' to a ninja-themed 'Never Say Never' with Jaden Smith and a finale of 'OMG' with mentor Usher, Gaga may have been upstaged by a teenager.
DOLLY: Bieber's movie smashes US box office
- Muse picks up Best Rock Album over Jeff Beck, Neil Young, Pearl Jam and Tom Petty. Singer Matt Bellamy thanks his "beautiful, pregnant girlfriend" (Kate Hudson). While Kanye thinks it's about him tweeting "dude from Muse just gave a shout out to "His Beautiful Pregnant Girlfriend" sounds like a good album title!"
- Lady Gaga takes out Best Pop Vocal Performance for the Fame Monster. In her acceptance speech, names Whitney Houston as the inspiration behind the tune. Is this her way of addressing the Madonna rip-off accusations ?
- Scrap that about Bieber upstaging Gaga. The entire ceremony has been hijacked by a performance from Cee-Lo, his new BFF Gwyneth Paltrow and a bunch of muppets. Nobody is forgetting that showstopper in a hurry.
0 Nicole Kidman rocked out hard to Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream' more than Perry. Highlight or lowlight depending on your opinon, the slightly naff wedding picture montage of Perry and hubby Russell Brand's big day.
- Lady Antellebum take out Song of the Year statue for 'Need You Now'. The country superstars (in the States at least) already picked up the Best Country Album gong.
- Call of the night: Seth Rogen "I was just backstage getting high with Miley Cyrus."
- We want a do over! Sure Eminem and Rihanna killed it for 'Love The Way You Lie' but there wasn't nearly enough Dr. Dre time.
- WHAATTTTTTTTTT Justin Bieber did not win Best New Artist. Some bird named Esperanza Spalding is going home with the statue. We predict a riot in the name of Bieber.
- Nicki Minaj and Will.i.am award Eminem and his epic Recovery the statue for Best Rap Album. Boring acceptance speech follows.
- If like us you were wondering the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year…Record includes the artist, songwriters and producers, not just the singer. FYI – Lady Antellebum's 'Need You Now' won both this year.
- And the Grammy Awards make a grab for credibility giving Arcade Fire the Album of the Year for their masterpiece The Suburbs.
With the Grammys over for another 365 days make sure you check out the red carpet gallery and all the videos from the show.